As wooden fences have a more natural appearance than metal or steel, adding metal posts to your fence would seem to compromise the aesthetics of the entire fencing.
But is it an awkward combination for using wood and metal for fencing? It may look unnatural, but metal posts are excellent support for your existing wooden fence.
Why are you adding a fence? No matter what your purpose for a fence, the truth is that you expect it to last for many years, either protecting your home or serving as structural beauty. The sturdier the fence, the more years it will stand.
Let’s see the other benefits behind fences with posts made of steel.
Advantage of Using Metal Posts on Wooden Fence
Standard fencing, especially in the countryside, people opt for a wooden fence as it feels closer to nature. Using natural wood for fences is genuinely an organic way of appreciating nature’s best.
Whether you’re anxious if timber supplies get exhausted and all trees felled, you know that composite fences emulating wood are now widespread.
- Highly durable. Okay, if you think you can go with the wood because it can be treated, steel durability is unparalleled. Steel posts require less maintenance, are sturdier, and can withstand strong winds. If you worry about corrosion, you can treat them with rustproofing. Wood, at the same time, is prone to damage, especially when it touches the ground. No matter how many times you treat them, wood will warp or rot when exposed to moisture.
- Longer lifespan. There’s no problem in using wooden posts for your wooden fence. The most significant advantage of having iron posts is to have more stable fencing. Metal posts provide a longer fence lifespan because they are durable against rot. If the all-wood fence serves for around 7 to10 years, expect metal posts to last longer than that.
- Cost-effective. The savings metal posts can provide are based on their durability and longer lifespan. The more a fencing component lasts, the less spending will be on maintenance and repairs. The wood material is vulnerable to insect damage, mildew, and rot. At first, you might think you saved a ton because wood is much lower compared to steel. But the frequent repair and replacement will cost you more.
- Privacy. Can wooden posts protect your home? We know how durable metal posts are, especially against the weather. If there is a storm, a fence with a metal post can withstand the blow of wind without getting swayed, while a wooden post can easily be toppled down. If that is the case, a fallen fence exposes your home to all kinds of attacks. So to keep intact the natural feel of a wooden fence, reinforce it with metal posts, so it stands there around your perimeter for a long time.
- Safe from health hazards. Wooden posts sourced from cedar or pine were treated with chromated copper arsenate for protection against bugs in the soil. However, it was found out that chromated copper arsenate is hazardous when exposed, and it was banned in 2003 as a wood treatment. The life expectancy of wooden posts is shorter due and is less effective.
- Appearance. As they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We leave you to that principle because whatever you choose, there is always beauty in it. Fences with all wood have a distinct character that metal posts cannot replace. Meanwhile, others may find more sophistication and modernity in metal. It really depends on your taste.
The fence is not only a barrier between your garden and the street outside. It serves as a welcoming structure that speaks of character when it comes to its design.
Your fence is a giant façade and a welcoming point of surprise for visitors and passersby of what’s beyond on the other side. Using metal posts for your wooden fence is a worthwhile investment because the benefits alone are priceless.
Birmingham Decking and Fencing are here to assist you if you are unsure of the best material for your fencing project. Our skilled fitters will help you with estimates and quotes so you won’t have difficulty deciding which fence type to add to your home.
Call our office for your inquiries: 0121 405 1298. Our team ensures fast response, delivery, and installation. Check for the best offers we have today.